Saturday, April 12, 2014

"Where Words Fail, Music Speaks"

There are some songs that you can't help but smile when you hear them. This one in particular always makes me want to do a jig. Just listen...I caution you on watching it though, his teeth licking can be overwhelming--just hearing it will suffice. 


I have a theory or two about music. It can make you feel a way that nothing else can. That's why you get chills, or cry, or jump up and down and all around, and make you wonder what's wrong with your emotions because you don't understand what you're feeling. It heals you, its an outburst of the soul and a connection between you and the world. I know you're shaking your head at my corniness and failed attempt at profoundness, but you know its true because music makes everyone feel that way. 

My  love for music is so intense that I don't even dare give it up for lent because I know it'd be impossible to make it 40 days without failing. Embarrassing I know. I'm very ashamed. I have music on all the time, as soon as I get up and get ready for the day I have my Spotify going. When I get back to my room, it comes on, when I do homework, when I'm in the car--I know its something I shouldn't rely on so much because to be able to be silent is such a gift and also important. 

But it comes to your aid no matter what situation you are in--when you rejoice, when you are sad, when you are bored, when you are glad. (that rhymed--I'm also a poet). It's been a great companion during study time especially--my friend Sam Tsui ^^ can get me bouncing around in my seat while writing a paper (whatever works, right?) I'm sure my eardrums are destroyed but honestly what would life be without music? I feel like it colors the world and brings an expression to life that nothing else could. (I know, I'm being corny again).

"Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand." --Stevie Wonder 

No comments:

Post a Comment